SHOP BY GEOGRAPHY
ON MY MIND (BLOG)
Search this Site
|Handcraft Artisan Wares . . .
|»Amish Handcraft Stores
»Art & Craft Supplies
»Native American Crafts
|»Quilts & Fabric Goods
»Pottery & Glass
»Wood Furniture & Decor
»Woven and Handknit Goods
Amish Handcraft Stores [Back to Top]
- Alegacy Furniture (Pottstown, PA): retailer of American-made Amish hardwood furniture, with online sales and a showroom.
- Erik Organic (Inver Grove Hts., MN): solid wood furniture, including baby cribs, and sets for living room, dining room, and bedroom. Made in USA by Amish craftsmen using domestic hardwoods.
- Quilts by Linse: once a source for Amish quilts, this site is now a retail outlet for Amish-made wood bedroom furniture.
- Real Wood Amish Furniture (Ruckersville, VA): Amish-made solid wooden furniture for every room. The site features Mission and Shaker styles in oak, cherry, and maple, made in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Tennessee, Kentucky, and North Carolina.
- Valley View Oak (Millersburg, OH): an Amish manufacturer specializing in dining and office furniture, handcrafted from hardwoods including oak, cherry, hickory, and maple.
Art & Craft Supplies [Back to Top]
Drawing and Painting
- Artograph (Plymouth, MN): art projectors, light boxes, and spray booths for artists, crafters, teachers, and designers. Mostly made in USA (look for "made in USA" in product descriptions).
- Chattahoochee Pencil Co. (Atlanta, GA): unique drawing and marking tools made from a graphite composite, make thick and thin lines, and don't need sharpening. Tools mark on most building and household materials.
- Utrecht Paints
(Cranbury, NJ): Utrecht brand professional-grade artist paints (acrylics, oils, and watercolors), still made in their factory in Brooklyn, NY. (other brands at Utrecht Art website imported)
- Walnut Hollow (Dodgeville, WI): small unfinished wood products, including plagues, shelves, quilt racks, and small boxes. A growing percent are made in China, but origin information is clearly noted for each product on the site.
- Awl for All (Arlington Hts., IL): wooden-handled lock stitch sewing awl for repairing leather, canvas, vinyl and fabric items. Needles and thread store in tool handle. Made in USA since 1903. Triple strand waxed thread available in colors to match your project.
- Brown Sheep Company (Mitchell, NE): yarns of cotton, cotton fleece, mohair, and wool, all made in USA. Available from Paradise Fibers.
- Denise Interchangeable Knitting Needles (Charlottesville, VA): kits come with interchangeable needle heads in many sizes that connect to flexible cords to create circular or straight needles. Akin to a Knitter's Tool Box! A great idea. Available from Paradise Fibers.
- Farmhouse Yarns (East Haddam, CT): hand-dyed in USA using wool from American small family farms. Available from One Planet Yarn & Fiber.
- MagEyes (Kerrville, TX): optical quality magnifying lenses with a headband for hands-free close work. Manufactured and assembled completely in the US.
- Mirrix Looms (Francestown, NH): portable looms for tapestry and bead-weaving, made from copper and aluminum.
- Mountain Meadow Wool (Buffalo, WY): merino wool yarn skeins in a full selection of colors, plus woven goods
Scrapbooking and Photo Albums
- Dalee Book Co. (Yonkers, NY): beautiful memory books, scrapbooks and specialty books in your choice of fabrics and colors. I ordered a memory book for a friend's retirement book and it was beautifully crafted. What a far cry from the offerings at my local craft chain store! Even nicer than Creative Memories, which now are imported.
- Mrs. Grossman's (Petaluma, CA): premium scrapbooking stickers made at their factory north of San Francisco (tours available!).
- Technique Tuesday (Portland, OR): clear stamps, made in USA, for scrapbooking or stamping on paper, fabric or ceramics.
Woolen Fabrics by Pendleton
Fabric [Back to Top]
- American Grown/Spun/Milled (Ashville, NC): source for woven and knit fabric made from organic fibers grown, spun, and milled in the U.S.
- Celia Rachel (Lincolnton, NC): tulle nylon netting in many colors, matte or sparkle. Manufactured by Fab Industries (Lincolnton, NC).
- Mill Direct Textiles: although some Polartec fabrics are now made overseas, this retailer (started by former employees of Malden Mills) sells only Polartec that is manufactured in Lawrence, MA.
- Pendleton Woolen Mills (Portland, OR): long known for elegant woolen clothing, many Pendleton apparel items are now sewn in other countries, but with fabric woven at their U.S. mill. I recently discovered that their wool fabrics are also available online, including beautiful tartans and heavier blanket-weight fabrics.
- SAFE Denim (Littlefield, TX): denim fabric made in USA from American-grown cotton, available in 30-yd bolts (too much yardage for the casual crafter, but a nice source of US denim for small manufacturers or someone with a big project!)
Handcraft Stores [Back to Top]
- Americana Mama (Santa Rosa, CA): jewelry, decor, soaps and more, all handmade by U.S. artisans.
- Artful Vision: an online storefront for over 75 American artists and artisans, working in every media--paper, fiber, glass, paint, metal and wood. A percent of every purchase donated to a charity you choose from those listed. Also a great fundraiser.
- Best American Arts (Columbus, OH): extraordinary selection of jewelry, pottery, picture frames, leather goods, and other treasures, all made by American artists.
- Celestial Creations (Truth Or Consequences, NM): hand-crafted gifts, home decor, art, gourmet food, candles, bath & beauty products, plus Native American-made goods, made in New Mexico
- Etsy: an online collection of e-boutiques by handcraft artisans from all over the world. Use keywords "Made in USA" in the search box, or check the "Ships from" information for listings. Many wonderful finds here, but I am somewhat dismayed at how the site has changed--I almost felt like I was on eBay.
- Made in Santa Cruz: a great selection of artglass, jewelry, softgoods, and more by artists and artisans in Santa Cruz, CA
- The Henry Ford (Dearborn, MI): in addition to being a great place to visit, THe Henry Ford has pottery, glass, tiles, Merino wool yarn, and hand-dipped candles, all made by the artisans at Greenfield Village.
- Iowa Artisans Gallery (Iowa City, IA): beautiful art and handcraft items, including wood, glass, pottery, prints and jewelry, by nearly 200 Iowa artisans.
- Pick My Decor (Lawton, OK): an online store dedicated to American handcrafted decor, including lamps, wall art, tableware, window accents and more.
- Piedmont Craftsmen (Winston-Salem, NC): a guild of over 400 craft artists, working in glass, fiber, metal, clay, leather...you name it!
- Stowe Craft and Design (Stowe, VT): a wonderful collection of American-made handcrafts, including furniture, jewelry, pottery, and fine art. Almost all products carried are made by American artisans
- Our American Heritage (Paoli, PA): pottery, prints, glass, and Americana from many artists, including pottery from the Lancaster County area.
- Sweetheart Gallery (Woodstock, NY): handcrafted furniture, clocks, lighting, jewelry and fine art
Native American Crafts [Back to Top]
- Bear Creek Trading (Carrollton, TX): Native American-made jewelry for men and women, specializing in jewelry from the Reservations of New Mexico and Arizona.
- Hearth Island Flutes: hand-carved wood flutes in the Native American style by performer, recording artist and flute builder Werner John
- Native American Traders: baskets, jewelry, and katsina dolls
- Southwest Indian Foundation (Gallup, NM): pottery, jewelry, and crafts of all kinds, beautifully handcrafted by members of the Navajo tribe and the pueblo tribes of the Zuni, Laguna, Acoma, and Hopi. If you can't find something you like on this site, you're not trying! (Apparel is imported.)
Quilts & Fabric Goods [Back to Top]
- Bari J. (Danville, CA): "design your own" handbags, clutches, totes and belts. Vintage-inspired designs, many fabrics, and wonderful vintage jewelry accents. Truly something special.
- Quilt Racks: compression, wall mount, and ladder style quilt racks...hand-crafted from hardwoods in Pennsylvania
- J & M's Home Decor Shoppe (Auburn, NY): Homemade custom window valances, curtains, pillows, quilts and more
- The Mouse Works (Earlysville, VA): very fun fleece hats for babies up to adult, made from factory scraps of fleece (mostly American-made Polartec)
- Storybook Quilts (Landenberg, PA): children's quilts, custom-made with a story theme, each comes with matching story book. Machine quilted in USA with domestic and imported fabrics.
- Watermelon Wishes (Haymarket, VA): handcrafted products for mother and baby, including bibs, blankets and totes.
Pottery & Glass [Back to Top]
- Adirondack Stained Glass Works (Gloversville, NY): beautiful stained glass panels available in their gallery, and lamps and other smaller pieces available online.
- Burchetta Glassblowing Studio (Wilmington, NC): fabulous blown glass objects, both art and functional, plus a large exhibition studio for those lucky enough to get to Historic Downtown Wilmington.
- Bujno Pottery (Lancaster County, PA): beautiful handcrafted pottery, high-fired with gray, white, or wheat glaze and your choice of cobalt or gray-green decoration. Many items, including crocks and plates, can be personalized. This is a great pottery site.
- Darla Kirchner Designs (Liberty Township, OH): pottery in interesting and original shapes, painted in bright beautiful colors
- Eldreth Pottery (Lancaster County, PA): "Pennsylvania Redware" and salt-glaze stoneware. Beautiful pottery, including tablewares, lamps and candle crocks, and pottery for the birds--birdfeeders, birdbaths, and birdhouses! I love the pottery bathroom sinks!!
- Ephraim Faience Pottery (Lake Mills, WI): hand-thrown, sculpted, and glazed art pottery. Truly exceptional, with many themes drawn from nature.
- Mug Heaven : handmade pottery plates, bowls and mugs (including animal, face, and shaving mugs) by over 50 artists
- Old Sturbridge Village (Sturbridge, MA): redware pottery and handmade tinware from the Old Sturbridge Village artisans
- The Potting Shed (Concord, MA): Dedham-style pottery bunnies and kittens, plus bowls, vases and all manner of beautiful items in the characteristic blue and gray crackle glaze
Wood Furniture & Decor [Back to Top]
- Gary Weeks & Co. (Wimberley, TX): a unique wooden rocking chair, plus other exquisite handcrafted wooden furniture (stools, dining chairs and tables)
- Providence Workshop (Sturgeon Bay, WI): wooden clocks, jewelry boxes, and glass mosaic accents
- S. Timberlake (Bethel, ME): handcrafted wooden Shaker and custom furniture for every room in the house
- Vermont Windsor Chairs (Londonderry, VT): handcrafted Windsor chairs and "Heirloom Quality" furniture of red oak and cherry, by craftsman David A. Spero
- Wood Works of Cedar Springs (Cedar Springs, MI): this workshop produces wood furniture and decor of all kinds. If you can imagine it, they will make it.
- Wren & Cooper Furnishings (Philadelphia, PA): custom-made wood furniture made with mortise and tenon joints, and accessories made from hand-printed linen fabrics. Available from Artful Home
|Gary Weeks & Co.
Woven & Handknit Goods [Back to Top]
- Bodmer Blankets (Carlton, OR): handwoven blankets and throws made with alpaca yarns, and edged with soft fringe or silk binding.
- Katiyana's Handmade Collectibles (Lincoln, NE): Custom made doll clothes for American Girl, Cabbage Patch Kids, Bitty Baby, Build A Bear, and Build A Bear Cubs
- Merlene Seltzer Handwoven (Wenatchee, WA): beautiful handwoven scarves and wraps of chenille
- Milligan Brand Knits : sweaters, pillows, and throws, handknit in Northern New Mexico
- Nette Knits (Botsford, CT): handknit cotton baby blankets, hats, and booties
- ScarfGuy.com (Youngstown, OH): truly exceptional handwoven scarves and shawls of cashmere and silk fibers, many with a lace-like appearance
- Swans Island Blankets (Northport, ME): hand-dyed and hand-woven blankets and throws made from the fleece of Corriedale sheep and died with organic dyes (osage orange, cochineal, and indigo)
- Warped and Wonderful (Boise, ID): handwoven throws, scarves of silk, cotton, and merino wool, and beautiful cotton tea towels.