Art and Craft Supplies
- Artograph (Plymouth, MN): art projectors, light boxes, and spray booths for artists, crafters, teachers, and designers. Mostly made in USA (look for "made in USA" in product descriptions).
- DecoArt, Inc. (Stanford, KY): long known for their Americana® acrylic craft paints, this company also makes a wide variety of glossy enamel, metallics, chalk, and outdoor patio paints, plus products for stenciling, decoupage and much more.
- Dixie Belle Paint Co. (Port Richey, FL): high quality mineral chalk paint for furniture refurbishing, beautiful colors, often requiring only one coat, minimal prep or priming. In addition to chalk paint, the company has been introducing other product lines and also makes cleaners, sealers, waxes, brushes etc. I painted my first "upcycled" vintage table in 2021 and I am hooked!
- General Pencil Company (Jersey City, NJ): art and craft pencils, including colored pencils, pastels and charcoals, plus artist cleanup soap. Handmade in USA since 1889.
American-Made Art Pencils
[Affiliate: I earn commission on purchases through these links]
- Geographics (Norwalk, CT): makers of Royal Lace® paper doilies for crafts and placemats for special occasions, as well as a variety of fine papers including photo paper. [Affiliate: I earn commission on purchases through this link]
- Sunbelt Mfg. Co. (Gladewater, TX): high-quality silk screen frames and stretched artist canvases, available in a range of standard and custom sizes. Can't wait to try a painting! (Forget checking at Michaels or other craft stores, you will not find any US-made canvases.)
- Utrecht Paints
(Cranbury, NJ): Utrecht brand professional-grade artist paints (acrylics, oils, and watercolors), still made in their factory in Brooklyn, NY. (other brands at Utrecht Art website imported)
- Walnut Hollow (Dodgeville, WI): small unfinished wood products, including plagues, shelves, quilt racks, and small boxes. A growing percent are made in China, but origin information is clearly noted for each product on the site.
- Mill Direct Textiles: although some Polartec fabrics are now made overseas, this retailer (started by former employees of Malden Mills) sells only Polartec that is manufactured in Lawrence, MA.
- Organic Cotton Plus: organic cotton fabrics, some imported, but clear information about each in the product description. Still a source for woven and knit fabric made from organic fibers grown, spun, and milled in the U.S.--shop from their Made in the USA page, or enter "made in USA" in the search box.
- Pendleton Woolen Mills (Portland, OR): long known for elegant woolen clothing, many Pendleton apparel items are now sewn in other countries, but with fabric woven at their U.S. mill. I recently discovered that their wool fabrics are also available online, including beautiful tartans and heavier blanket-weight fabrics.
- Crane & Co. (North Adams, MA): for over 200 years, this company has made beautiful embossed and engraved stationery, "tree-free" and made from cotton fibers, including holiday cards, letters, note cards, and invitations for those special occasions. Every fall I enjoy selecting my Crane cards for the holidays. Treat yourself.
- Dalee Book Co. (Yonkers, NY): beautiful memory books, scrapbooks and specialty books in your choice of fabrics and colors. I ordered a memory book for a friend's retirement book and it was beautifully crafted. What a far cry from the offerings at my local craft chain store! Even nicer than Creative Memories, which now are imported.
- Gallery Leather (Bar Harbor, ME): albums, planners, journals and other handcrafted leather stationery products. These make wonderful gifts.
- Mrs. Grossman's (Petaluma, CA): premium scrapbooking stickers made at their factory north of San Francisco (tours available!).
- Technique Tuesday (Portland, OR): clear stamps, made in USA, for scrapbooking or stamping on paper, fabric or ceramics.
- Awl for All (Arlington Hts., IL): wooden-handled lock stitch sewing awl for repairing leather, canvas, vinyl and fabric items. Needles and thread store in tool handle. Made in USA since 1903. Triple strand waxed thread available in colors to match your project.
- Brown Sheep Company (Mitchell, NE): yarns of cotton, cotton fleece, mohair, and wool, all made in USA. Available from Paradise Fibers.
- Cestari Sheep & Wool Co. (Churchville, VA): high quality American-made yarn, including cotton, wool, and various cotton/wool blends using USA-grown cotton and USA merino wool.
- Denise Interchangeable Knitting Needles (Charlottesville, VA): kits come with interchangeable needle heads in many sizes that connect to flexible cords to create circular or straight needles. Akin to a Knitter's Tool Box! A great idea. Available from Paradise Fibers.
- Lion Brand Yarn (Orchard Yarn and Thread Co.): American-made yarns are Homespun, Heartland, and Hometown USA. Others imported. [Affiliate: I earn commission on purchases through this link]
- MagEyes (Kerrville, TX): optical quality magnifying lenses with a headband for hands-free close work. Manufactured and assembled completely in the US.
- Mirrix Looms (Francestown, NH): portable looms for tapestry and bead-weaving, made from copper and aluminum.
- Mountain Meadow Wool (Buffalo, WY): merino wool yarn skeins in a full selection of colors, plus woven goods