SHOP BY GEOGRAPHY
ON MY MIND (BLOG)
Search this Site
|Toys and Games . . .
»Craft Kits & Supplies
»Dolls & Dress-Up
»Puzzles & Games
»Wooden Toys & Dollhouses
Building Toys [Back to Top]
- K'NEX (Hatfield, PA): plastic construction toys made in U.S. (though motor components and other special parts made in China)
- Taurus Toy Co. (Franklin, PA): Block-N-Roll marble maze construction blocks and No-Ends building sets
- Zome Tool (Denver, CO): Zome is a wonderful construction toy for kids, composed of spherical nodes and colorful plastic struts
Craft Kits and Supplies [Back to Top]
- Castine Candle Co. (Benton, ME): Candle Shop in a Box candle-making kit, for ages 8+ with adult supervision. Kit comes with granulated wax, scents, melting pot, candle molds, and wicks. Great party activity.
- DuneCraft (Chagrin Falls, OH): garden terrarium and biodome kits with cool plants like cacti and carnivorous plants. What a great way to get kids interested in plants! The company also makes great Science Fair Kits. Available from AreYouGame
- Imagination Box Co. (Sandpoint, ID): paintable Cottage Dollhouse comes with its own set of non-toxic watercolors (paints also made in USA)
- Mary's Softdough (Eugene, OR): soft modeling dough made from nontoxic ingredients (just in case!), comes in great colors, plus scented and glitter. Even the playdough cutting tools are made in USA.
- Oops Mat (Bay City, MI): washable, reusable children's craft mat, keeps surfaces clean without stifling creativity!
- Perler Beads, those colorful plastic beads that fuse when ironed, are now made in China. Darn!
- Sculpey Polymer Clay, by Polyform Products Co. (Elk Grove Village, IL): oven-bake clay great for artists of all ages. Available at Polymer Clay Express or Clay Factory
- Secrist Doll Co. (Midland, MI): manufacturers of vinyl doll kits that artists can use to create beautiful custom dolls.
- Skullduggery, Inc. (Tustin, CA): in addition to museum-quality fossil replicas and science kits, this company makes Cast & Paint race cars, army men, animals, and magic creatures. Kits come with everything you need....plaster powder, molds, paints, and magnets for display.
- Shrinky Dinks (North Lake, WI): shrinkable plastic that be used to create just about anything...jewelry, charms, sun catchers, key chains. Add designs with colored pencils, cut in any shape, and heat in home oven or toaster oven. Patterns and ideas also available. Still made in USA by K&B Innovations. (Kits include imported components.)
- Technique Tuesday (Beaverton, OR): scrapbooking stamps, blocks, and ink made in the USA
- Wikki Stix (Phoenix, AZ): wax-coated yarn sticks that bend, twist, and stick to form all sorts of flat and 3-D art creations. Available from My All-American Store
Hartstone Piggy Bank
Dolls & Dress-Up [Back to Top]
- Magic Cabin : soft dolls, play furniture, and dress-up costumes (keyword "USA")
- Adoptable Kinders (Winter Springs, FL): handmade rag dolls with interchangeable clothes and accessories. These are very sweet dolls! Available from My All-American Store
- Cabbage Patch Kids (Cleveland, GA): the Original Soft Sculpture dolls are still handmade in Georgia. Boxed dolls with vinyl heads are imported.
- Claresa the Fairy (Loveland, CO): authentic fairy gifts, including accessories, toiletries, and party favors for fairy birthday parties
- Fairy Finery, Inc. (Golden Valley, MN): outfits for fairies, princesses, pirates and knights!
- Greenleaf Dollhouses (Schenevus, NY): wonderfully detailed wooden dollhouse kits.
- Green Toys Inc. ( San Francisco, CA): toy tea sets and more, made from recycled plastic milk jugs. Available from My All-American Store
- Imagination Box Co. (Sandpoint, ID): paintable Cottage Dollhouse comes with its own set of non-toxic watercolors (paints also made in USA)
- Kids Shop USA: great dress-up items, including crowns, princess hats, tutu's and girls' swimwear
- Little Capers : Super Hero tee shirts with detachable capes
- Secrist Doll Co. (Midland, MI): manufacturers of vinyl doll kits that artists can use to create beautiful custom dolls. Kits and supplies allow you to sculpt facial features, add skin tones and blush with heat-set paints, eye lashes and rooted hair. If you prefer, you may purchase these kits already painted, and select your eye/hair preferences (and even pay for doll assembly) at Apple Valley Doll Works
- Storyboard Toys (Longmont, CO): makers of ArtHouse, wooden dollhouses and furniture, and flannel storyboard sets
- Story Time Felts : felt story boards, felt dolls and doll clothes, science and math felts, and much more.
- Twinkle Baby (Santa Cruz, CA): bonding dolls made from soft, organic cotton that hold your scent to comfort baby. Available from KangarooBoo
Shop from the "Made in USA" page
Secrist Doll Co.
Flying Toys [Back to Top]
- Arrowcopter (Hollister, CA): flying helicopter toys
- Flarble (Glenwood, AR): small flying toy that you release with a snap of your fingers! The site has fun game suggestions.
- Guillow (Wakefield, MA): balsa wood airplane kits and flying toys since 1926
- Stanzel Flying Models (Schulenburg, TX): long-time manufacturer of flying models, airplanes, spacecraft, jet planes and copters, has closed, although the former factory is now a museum.
- Aerobie (Palo Alto, CA): flying discs, rings, and boomerangs. Available from Rudy's Toys
Model Trains, Tractors, etc [Back to Top]
This category isn't really "toys"--well, maybe these are toys for adults! Anyway, this stuff is too much fun not to list.
- Hartland Locomotive Works (LaPorte, IN): G-scale model locomotives and rolling stock, plus brass and aluminum track, all made in USA
- Ross Custom Switches (Norwich, CT): O-gauge turnouts, switches and crossings, and 18 different sizes of track.
- Jensen Steam Engines (Jeannette, PA): model steam engines, steam turbines & miniature power generating plants. These are amazing!
- Scale Model Toys (Dyersville, IA): toy tractor replicas, made in Iowa
- Weaver Models (Northumberland, PA): O-gauge model train cars for 2-rail and 3-rail models, most still made in their Northumberland factory
Keyword "Made USA"
Outdoor Play [Back to Top]
- Jump Rope Store (Portland, OR): the original plastic segmented jump rope, available in custom colors, single or group orders
- Louisville Slugger (Louisville, KY): all bats made in USA, as well as the Practice Partner Premium Line and some accessories. (gloves and bags are made in the Philippines). Available at Toys "R" Us , or online at Amazon.com
- Missouri Washer Works : great backyard fun pitching washers (similar to horseshoes)!
- Wiffle Ball, Inc. (Shelton, CT): the original Wiffle ball, for batting and putting!
- Woodgamz.com (Columbus, OH): the midwestern version of bean bags, apparently, are bags filed with corn! The games involve tossing cornbags into a hole cut in a wooden play board. Give it a try.
- Yackle Ball (Troutman, NC): an X-shaped sports ball of fiber-filled vinyl, easy to throw and catch, builds hand-eye coordination. Game rules available online. Try something different! Available from My All-American Store
Puzzles & Games [Back to Top]
- Books For Me personalized books with your child's name in the story, printed by Create-a-Book in USA, and personalized and bound by Books For Me
- Buffalo Games (Buffalo, NY): inventive puzzles and puzzle games. Available from Puzzle Buffs
- Carrom Co. (Ludington, MI): famous makers of the traditional Carrom game board, the Carrom Co. acquired rights in the 1990's to Foosball, air hockey, and many other quality games. With its purchase of Drueke Co., Carrom also is the source for beautiful wooden Chessmen, chess boards, and other wooden game boards. All Carrom products available from InHome Games
- Channel Craft (Charleroi, PA): manufacturing classic American toys, games, and puzzles. Available from StuffKidsLike.com
- Finga Zinga : brightly colored plastic twirling toys and glowsticks, made and packaged in USA
- Fractiles (Boulder, CO): create an endless variety of geometric patterns with these magnetic tiling toys
- GnomeWorks Puzzles (Hagerstown, MD): innovative puzzles made with American hardwood pieces, and available in different levels of difficulty (number of pieces) for each design. (Small pieces are a choke hazard, so these puzzles are not recommended for small children.)
- I See Me (Cannon Falls, MN): personalized children's books, written and illustrated in USA, and printed and bound here as well (in Minnesota)
- Kazoobie Kazoos (Beaufort, SC): kazoos in all colors, in singles or bulk, from the last American manufacturer of plastic kazoos. Also offering wonderful metal kazoos (tractors, planes, and horns!) made by The Kazoo Company in Eden, NY
- Lauri Toys (Smethport, PA): craft kits, lacing kits, and crepe rubber puzzles (with a great replacement piece service). Fun, with an educational purpose. Available from Kazoo Toys.
- LoonTune (Minneapolis, MN): a spinning toy that mimics the cry of the Common Loon. Produced with assistance from ABC Inc., a non-profit that provides jobs for people with disabilities in Southern Minnesota
- Lucy Hammett Games (Mineola, TX): 17 different picture bingo games, with fun information and beautiful artwork by Lucy Hammett, 100% American-made
- Mamopalire of VT, Inc. (Warren, VT): brain-teaser board games
- Maple Landmark (Middlebury, VT): classic games, such as cribbage, checkers, Chinese checkers, and puzzle cubes, made of wood in VT. Available from KangarooBoo.
- POOF-Slinky (Plymouth, MI): Slinky toys and many POOF foam balls still made at facilities in Michigan and Pennsylvania. (look for "Made in USA" in product description)
- Smethport Toys (Smethport, PA): makers of the classic Wooly Willy and other magnetic drawing faces, plus many magnetic playsets and flip-games. Great for party favors and as "stocking stuffers." Available from Creative Educational Toys
- Springbok Puzzles (Kansas City, MO): beautiful puzzles with no two pieces alike, available in different levels of difficulty from beginner to advanced. A great family activity.
- Standard Target & Dart Co. (St. Clair Shores ,MI): Belgian dartboards of basswood, wooden darts with real turkey feathers
- Stuff Kids Like : great source for puzzles by Buffalo Games , Ceaco , Gamewright , and Sunsout
- SunsOut Puzzles (Costa Mesa, CA): contemporary jigsaw puzzles for all ages
- Tucker-Jones House (East Setauket, NY): Tavern Puzzles® metal puzzles in antique and original patterns, several levels of difficulty (luckily they provide solutions upon request!)
- VT Pewter (Brattleboro, VT): hand-crafted pewter chess pieces made from a 17th Century pewter formula
- United States Playing Card Company (Cincinnati, OH): high-quality, coated Bee and Bicycle brand playing cards, plus new designs (Barbie, Spiderman, NASCAR, Coca-Cola...)
- Virtue Toys (Medina, WA): creator of The Virtue Game, a board game that helps children understand the virtues of compassion, respect, enthusiasm, trust, friendliness, determination, responsibility, integrity, cooperation and thankfulness. Available from My All-American Store
- Widdy Dart Board Co. (Philadelphia, PA): manufacturer of American-style dart boards since the 1920's, doesn't have a website (Egad!), but products available from Dartboards.com
Crepe Puzzles by Lauri Toys
Log Cabin Playhouse
Ride-Ons [Back to Top]
- Big Wheel (Cedar Rapids, IA): the original ride-on many of us remember from our childhood, for several years unavailable, but now back in production thanks to Alpha International, Inc.!
- Midwest Contracting & Mfg (WaKeeney, KS): makers of the Dirt King trike, sizes for kids and adults. Pneumatic tires on steel rims, tilting handlebars and adjusting seats, handcrafted in USA.
- Mason Corp. (Brentwood, TN): manufacturer of the Flying Turtle ride-on toy, available from My All-American Store
- Rolli-Rider (Cupertino, CA): a self-powered, sit-down riding coaster intended for children between two and six years old, made from birch plywood and maple wood, with hard rubber tires
- Step2 (Streetsboro, OH): high-quality ride-on toys, climbers, playhouses, and wagons, manufactured for the U.S. market at factories in Streetsboro and Perrysville, OH and Fort Valley, GA. ("Main Street Village" products are imported.) Available from Wayfair (Shop by Brand)
- Little Tikes (Hudson, OH): many wonderful products still made in USA, but check country of origin. Look for the "Made in USA" link on the site.
Step2 made in USA
Stuffed Animals [Back to Top]
- Basic Brown Bear Factory (San Francisco, CA): stuffed and bean bears in lots of sizes and colors, not to mention factory tours and Teddy Bear Tea Parties. 2007 Update: Apparently now no longer in business.
- Big Plush (Pelham Manor, NY): over-sized plush animals for room decor, displays, or just for play
- 'Em Bears (St. Lawrence County, NY): bears, lambs, bunnies, dogs and penguins (including baby-safe)
- Kathy's Kreations (Phoenix, AZ): deluxe stuffed animals, made in USA
- Organic cotton stuffed animals made in VT
- Stuffington Bear Factory (Phoenix, AZ): lots of fun bears, plus bunnies, lambs, monkeys, camels...and clothes for them too! Factory tours and birthday parties if you are in the area.
- Tedde (New York, NY): hand-crafted stuffed bears made with a variety of techniques, including embroidery, hand-stitching, knitting, crocheting and felting. Appropriate for ages 6 and up.
- Vermont Teddy Bear (Shelburne, VT): teddy bears dressed for all occasions...holidays, birthdays, new baby, Valentine's Day, you name it! Handmade in America.
- Your Tooth Fairy Pillow (Interlochen, MI): designed by a dentist mom, this smiling tooth-shaped pillow celebrates the loss of baby teeth while promoting good brushing habits. Comes with tooth brush and toothpaste.
Sock Monkey Kit
Wooden Toys & Dollhouses [Back to Top]
- Animals and Arks (Trumansburg, NY): wonderful wooden pull-toys, puzzles, and ark sets
- BEKA (St. Paul, MN): wooden art easels, weaving looms, puppet theaters, play furniture and blocks
- Cubbyhole Toys (West Dundee, IL): wooden name puzzles, toy boxes, trains, and Big Belly Banks
- Elves and Angels (ME): beautiful wooden castles and knights, dollhouses and doll furniture, barns and stables
- The Giving Tree (Seattle, WA): beautiful and unusual wooden toys, handcrafted by seniors, formerly and currently homeless individuals, and youth and adults in the Seattle area.
- Greenleaf Dollhouses (Schenevus, NY): wonderfully detailed wooden dollhouse kits. Also available from Miniatures.com (keyword "Corona")
- Holgate Toys (Bradford, PA): since 1929, makers of quality wooden toys and kid step stool chairs, and even the Mr. Rogers' trolley! Available from Wayfair
- Laughing Moon (Ventura, CA): hand-made jumping jack toys and clocks
- Maple Landmark (Middlebury, VT): more fabulous wooden toys from Vermont, including trains of all sorts. Available from KangarooBoo
- Mesko Toys (Bloomfield, MI): train tracks and switch tracks, made in USA from solid maple. Compatible with Brio and Thomas train toys. (Painted toys, including Maxim brand, imported).
- Our Green House : retailer of natural and organic products, with a special page of toys made in USA
- PJ's Carousel (Newbern, VA): wooden pull toys with a carousel theme, plus wonderful miniature reproductions of carousel horses that still exist and operate on America's Carousels.
- Rocky Shore Miniatures (Orrington, ME): collectible wooden dollhouse furniture, even working miniature Grandfather Clocks!
- Roy Toy Manufacturing (Machias, ME): classic wooden log building sets
- Stack & Stick (Goshen, IN): wooden building toys that slot together for a unique building experience, made in USA from American-grown hard maple
- TAG Toys (Compton, CA): quality wooden manipulative toys for children from birth to 6 years old, including children with learning disabilities
- Timberworks Toys (Columbia, MO): unique wooden building toys made from hard maple, these construction sets come with wooden planks and timbers, plus wheels and widgets. Available from the USA-Made Toys page at Kazoo Toys.
- Turner Toys (Morrisville, VT): wood play-kitchens, dollhouses, and more
- Uncle Goose Toys (Grand Rapids, MI): wooden nursey rhyme and alphabet blocks, building toys, and puzzles
- Under the Green Roof (Tuscaloosa, AL): handcrafted wooden toys, including wooden puzzles, letters, and animals, and some unique jumping jack toys
- Wooden Tool Kit , handmade wooden tools for play, including toy hammer, screwdriver, saw, square, and old fashion hand drill. Available from Tree Hollow Toys
- Whittle Shortline Railroad (St. Louis, MO): handpainted wooden railroad toys, including trains, tracks, bridges, and buildings. Compatible with Brio and Thomas the Tank Engine toys.
- You Name It Toys (Minneapolis, MN): handcrafted wooden name puzzles, step stools, and rocking horses.
- EZ 2 Love (Bellwood, PA): beautiful wooden cars, trucks, trains (though a difficult web site...)
Holgate Color Cone
Carousel Pull Toys